Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A few weeks ago I was asked how I cure my polymer clay things without burning them, since this was a big problem for me in the beginning I wrote the person all of my tips, and I decided to post them for you here.

"A lot of polymer sellers would tell you to get an independant oven thermometor so that you can make sure your oven isn't lying to you. I just experimented and found that if I cooked items at 265 F in my oven they would cure just fine without the risk of scorching. I also cook them for small periods of time, if I think it'll take 10 minutes in the oven, I cook it for 5, then let it cool and test it and then send it back in the oven.

For the roses and tiny minis I use a handheld heat gun, they're too small to justify turning on an oven anyway!"

How do my fellow polymer artists cure their projects?

No comments: